Saturday, December 7, 2013

Draft 2 in Narrative

   This draft is the first time I defined my writing style. After realizing that it would be difficult to write 5 to 7 pages on a dog, I decided to try and fit a big part of my life into 5 to 7 pages. I chose to write my paper and really narrate it like I am telling a story. I personally love reading when it is read like a story. I felt this would be the best way to get my reader interested in what I had to say.


I’m tired. Tired of being someone I’m not. Why do I dress like this? Why do I pretend like I enjoy this music? Why do I act this way when I know this isn’t who I am? These were the questions that lead led me toward the path of Buddhism.  A path that would help guide me through life. These are the reasons why I follow the teachings of Dalai Lama and Ram Dass. If it weren’t for them and their insight of life I wouldn’t be the person I am today.
Sophomore year I found myself lost. I was stuck in a bad relationship with a guy that was doing me more harm then good. My one best friend left for Italy for six months and she was the only person that kept me stable.  I was doing more drugs and lost complete site sight of myself. The time I spent at home I fought with my parents, hurting the people that loved me the most.  I had almost given up on myself when one day I took a look at the last 4 [MDE2] months of my life and had a wake up call. I needed to change, I knew this wasn’t who I was and I was capable of more. In order to change I started where any 21st century kid starts, the Internet.

I began googling inspirational quotes about being yourself and found that my favorite quotes belonged to someone of Buddhist background.  Most of my favorite quotes came from Dalai Lama, so I decided to research him. From here I dived into the practice[MDE3] , picking up books by his holiness himselfthe Dalai Lama, and found that I could relate to his thoughts and began practicing his practices[MDE4] .  I started with the most basic practice. Love.

I readThe Dalai Lamas book on love. It was a pretty thick book too. I found myself thinking why is there a 350-paged book on such a universal [MDE5] word and concept? Then after 10 [MDE6] pages I found that I was in shock. How could I have been so blinded by what love truly is? I had been tricked by what I thought love was, attachment.  I began to practice love and compassion towards others and myself. I then realized how poorly I had taken care of myself. Not performing to my full potential, shooting down praise from my parents, finding all the flaws I could about my appearance[MDE7] . I learned that in order to love others you [MDE8] have to love yourself first. [MDE9] 

It was hard for me to grasp the idea that I had been neglecting my parents for two years. I had broken relationships with my parents, lost their trust and disappointed them.  I remember getting caught for smoking pot for the first time and telling them that it wouldn’t happen again, and then after the fifth or sixth time I just didn’t care.  I crushed my dad; I was his little princess behaving like a troubled adolescence.  I had believed that I was acting like an adult but in actuality I was just being a dumb teenager.  I decided to treat myself better, surround myself with better people, and start doing productive activities that I loved.
           
            And as the Dalai Lama suggested I started with myself. I dressed the way I wanted to dress, in what made me feel confident.  I began to listen to the music that moved me and made me happy. I began acting the way I wanted act, helping others and being loving and compassionate towards everyone. I let go of the past and focused on the present.


No comments:

Post a Comment